Monday 3 November 2014

Counting Sleep


"The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to."
F. Scott Fitzgerald


One thing I noticed from the off was that sleeping became incredibly uncomfortable. Naturally, I'm a sleep on my front kind of girl so my mid-wife's advice to avoid that and sleep on your side (preferably your left) came as a hard blow and I found myself tossing and turning for, what seemed like, hours before finding a comfortable sleeping position. Aching joints as my uterus began to grow and sore boobs added to my woes.
I tried a pillow between my knees but it was too bulky and I often woke on my back (a big no-no) or front, having kicked the pillow out at some point in the night.
Lucky for me, I have a very thoughtful husband (or one who was desperate for a good night's sleep himself free from my tossing and turning, huffing and puffing as I heaved myself over once more) and he took it upon himself to buy me a sleeping pillow.
Friends have used them with varying degrees of success. Many said that they found them too unwieldy and they meant you had to readjust each time you turned, but I woke up after my first night still on my side and cushioned nicely. They are large (picture a human sized number 7) and they prevent all contact between you and your partner, but I was chuffed that he'd spent time browsing the net to find me mine. And, if you don't like it, I know many new mums who've said it makes a great feeding pillow or rest for your little one when they arrive.
Buy Dreamgenii Maternity and Nursing Pillow Online at johnlewis.com
There are so many on the market, but I can recommend Dreamgenii Maternity and Nursing Pillow. I know that, at £49.95, they are far from cheap, but I have really found mine worth it. It's a good shape and width, has removable covers and an uncushioned part along the top section so you can really snuggle in.
Whatever you try, be sure not to leave it too late as, even the early days can be uncomfortable and, trust me, you'll be needing a lot of sleep! You're making another human afterall!
If you found a method that worked I'd love to hear what worked for you.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© There's Always Sunday | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig